Castaway

 First a confession.  I had it in my head that Kahlua is around 35%abv and therefore thought Kraken Black Roast would be a straight substitution.  Flavour wise I think this sub is fine.  Proof wise maybe not so much.  It turns out that Kahlua isn't even to 20%abv itt once was and is now 16%abv.  How 'bout that?

I found this drink to be like a simplified Mr Bali Hai. At first bracing and then the lovely combo of pineapple and coffee. Later on vague hints of magic and rum emerge. A sweet velvety drink that slowly made me tipsy.



Castaway

Castaway
3 oz pineapple juice
¾ oz Kahlua*
1½ gold Jamaican rum
Shake with ice.  Strain into a Pilsner glass filled with crushed ice

So about that "gold" rum... that's not really how we classify rum these days, if we can help it. I've made enough drinks over the years and drank enough rum to know what is meant in the context of this recipe, I think.  A moderately aged uncoloured Jamaican rum does just fine.  You may find you prefer one particular bottling over another.  I'm sure that's the case for me for some drinks yet to come.  The Castaway I think is really more about coffee and pineapple with a bit of rum to fortify.  If you, like me, are going to use Kraken instead of Kahlua maybe fortification isn't really required.  Who's to say?

Cheers!
Be Well

Comments

Popular Posts