Shaken; Stirred; Crushed. Third Week of August

Greetings! It's been a while. Never mind about that...

I've got a new idea. Three drinks a week. Let's see how long I can keep it up shall we?

Last week's Stirred drink:


French Impression
0.75 oz Vermouth Berto Apertiv DLA Tradission
0.75 oz Nordesia Vermú Blanco
0.25 oz Citadelle Gin
1.25 oz Byrrh
Orange twist

For some time now I've used Nordesia Blanco as a sub for Dolin Blanc. I've also used it as a sub for Cocchi Americano/Kina.  So imagine my consternation when I came across (via Fred Yarm) a drink calling for Dolin Blanc and Cocchi Americano! I pondered for a while and ultimately chose a peidmont Bianco as my sub. Sure I could've just bought some Lillet but where's the fun in that? Ultimately I subbed everything else in this Dan Braganca drink too. I didn't notice the peach finish that Fred mentioned but definitely found the orange twist tied the impression together.

Shaken:

Culross
0.75 oz Cocchi Americano (Berto Apertiv DLA Tradission)
0.75 oz Smith & Cross (Appleton White)
0.75 oz Rothman & Winter (Luxardo Albicocca) 
0.75 oz lemon juice. 
Shake. Strain. Up .

I first encountered the Culross many years ago at FIG in Charleston. It's always a solid choice .

Crushed:

In the ever ongoing saga of trying to keep up with CVS my most recent lacking product has been Malort. I took to Twitter for advice on substitutions. Most were tongue in cheek responses alluding to its awfulness but some were genuine recommendations.  Unfortunately most of the most similar products are also not available in this jurisdiction. Nevertheless I soldiered on in my attempt to make Fred's Cutman.
So far one recipe falls in line with the iced tea description and one does not. I've got two more substitutes to try and I'll report my findings then. In then meantime these and many other delicious recipes can be found at cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com.

Cheers!
Be well


Comments

Popular Posts