Mixology Monday 107: Colada Noir & OP OF


Ahoy! Let's cut to the chase shall we? I put out the call for drinks with overproof ingredients and managed to use two spirits which I often am at a loss to use.

Colada Noir
0.5 oz lime juice
0.75 oz Cream of Coconut
0.75 oz Vauxhall Nectar
2 oz pineapple juice
2 oz Smith & Cross rum
1 dash Angostura bitters.

Shake with plenty of crushed ice (I'm serious!) and serve in a suitable vessel. Use that Stroh soaked star anise as garnish!

Smith & Cross is one of those things I'm supposed to like but often find I don't. With Jason Alexander's recipe and Helena's substitution though I can forsee this bottle not lasting long!

Then there's Knob Creek Single Barrel bourbon. I enjoy Knob Creek and I enjoy Knob Creek Rye. When I see it for sale I buy the Single Barrel for similar reasons to why my girlfriend will chose to see (out of the options at the local theatre) the movie with the longest running time. More bounce to the ounce! While this potent bourbon works some of the time a lot of the time it needs a lot of dilution, or something. Enter Basement Bitters Bitter Frost. I can't quite place it but there's something about the bitters that remind me of my youth. Granpa's aftershave? Dad's cardigan? A broken bottle of rye in a pile of leaves... in the sugarbush? I don't know. If you happen to come across it buy a bottle! It may just tame a beast of a spirit in an old fashioned manner. ;)


Overproof Old Fashioned
2 oz Knob Creek Single Barrel
0.25 oz simple syrup
3 dashes Bitter Frost
Build, stir, no garnish.





Comments

Popular Posts