Mixology Monday XCV: Call Me Old Fashioned

Unlike some past occasions which have found me scrambling for a recipe at the last minute or other occasions wherein I have tested recipes for days or weeks prior to a Mixology Monday this time I picked out a drink rather quickly. The write up of such is what took the time. The reasons fror the delay? Quite personal.

Laura Cloer of Sass & Gin is our host this month with the theme of Call Me Old Fashioned!. I looked through my meagre library and came upon the celebrity section of the Esquire Drink book. In the future I may blog of Art Linkletter's Papaya Cocktail or Guy Lombardo's bridge  Gibson. Today I bring you Oliver LaFarge's Laughing Boy Cocktail. This drink differs from this one and is very close to this one. As written there is not an actual amount given for the rum merely instruction to fill the glass to the brim. I've taken this to mean one wineglass (two ounces). It also calls for New England (or Medford) Rum which I do not have. I suppose Lamb's would suffice as a supposed London Dock Rum but I suggest any flavourful aged rum, I've used El Dorado 12 and English Harbour 5 (seperatley) one of which makes for a drier drink than the other. Here it is:



Laughing Boy
2 oz El Dorado 12
1 tsp Carpano Classico
1/2 tsp sugar
1 dash Angostura bitters
lemon peel
orange slice(s)

Place sugar in an Old Fashioned glass. Dash upon it the bitters and let the sugar absorb such. Meanwhile measure out rum and crack some ice. Add to the glass the vermouth. Briefly stir to incorporate the bittered sugar. Add ice. Pour in rum. Stir again. Garnish with a lemon peel and orange slices, if the mood suits.

adapted from Esquire Drink

Cheers!



Comments

frederic said…
Very curious. I had a rum-amaro cocktail called the Laughing Boy at a local bar -- I guess that could have been a tribute to the original that you posted.

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2014/04/laughing-boy.html
Dagreb said…
Fred,
A tribute it could be. I could only find two online sources for a drink of this name. The post you linked to and one on cocktaildb. The Esquire book intimates that the recipes have come directly from the named celebrities but I wonder if that is actually the case here or if it was a convenient allusion to Oliver La Farge's most famous work.
Cheers!

Popular Posts