Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Summer That Wasn't

What's that line from John Lennon? Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

So the summer was most definitely summer. It was hot. I won't go on about the heat, you've probably heard enough of that already. What it wasn't was (were?) two things I thought it would be. Or rather two things I thought would happen.

The first thing is related to my flickr project: Coffee 365. I thought when I began the project that there would come a day when i would photograph some iced coffee. Not just any iced coffee mind you. Iced coffee in a plastic cup, on top of an outdoor table, glistening in the sun. This did not happen. In fact I had very little iced coffee this summer. I only just last week had a couple from a coffee shop. All previous ones had been homemade.

The second thing is perhaps more than one thing. It might be three things, we'll see. I thought I would continue slaking my thirst with Sloppy Joe after Sloppy Joe (Only one per sitting though). In fact shortly after I commented on Kaiser Penguins Lurker blog about it I stopped drinking them. Strange. I thought we might make our own spiced rum. This also did not happen. I had resigned myself to the fact that i was not going to make orgeat or falernum and that if I was going to buy some it would be online and would be shipped to me/us from far away. I had a few tiki-ish concoctions made of rum lime juice ouzo (the only anise in the house) brandy curacao and whatnot (I think whatnot is bitters and or nutmeg). So there I was thinking that tiki was just something I could read about...

Until....





Keep going.



.......




I came across Orzata on a grocery shelf. Not a local shelf mind you. One in Burlington, at a Fortinos, this past weekend! The orzata was on sale too! Greatly on sale. $1.62! There was another brand available for about 20 cents more but I opted for the Gioia brand. (In retrospect I should have bought both for comparison purposes). So, last night a Mai Ta was had! Finally! The only dark rum in the house being Goslings meant that the Mai Tai tasted almost exactly like a Bermuda rum swizzle. When one compares the recipes it looks like they should be discrete drinks. (For the record the swizzles we've had have been from a mix). Ah, now if only I can find falernum marked down for clearance. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good points and the details are more specific than somewhere else, thanks.

- Norman