Rum Barrel

 Ah, the Rum Barrel.  I have a collection of mugs but a barrel mug is not among them.  There is a very small one that can hold toothpicks or parasols or swords but certainly not a drink. I suspect one reason I've never bothered to get a barrel mug is that most of the time I'm disappointed by Rum Barrels.  I nearly always find them too juice forward and not very rummy.  Maybe I'm expecting too much.  Maybe the name throws me off.  There are some exceptions but, sadly, this is not one of them. Anyway here's the recipe

Rum Barrel
¾ oz lime juice
¾ oz orange juice
¾ oz pineapple juice
¾ oz Alize liqueur
¾ oz simple syrup
¾ oz dark Jamaican rum
¾ oz Bacardi 151*
Shake with ice and pour into a ceramic barrel mug.

I have a well stocked bar but Alize is not something I had.  I've now got a bottle and IIRC it will be used again as I go through the Grog Log.  I also have no Bacardi 151.  As I understand it only dusties can be currently found.  There are other options for Puerto Rican 151 but not in this jurisdiction.  Perhaps there's a bottle of Bacardi 151 in my stash? No.  There is a bottle of St Vincent Sunset...

So armed with a bottle of Sunset, a bottle of Plantation 3 Star (which is flavourful but not really the appropriate choice), and knowledge of how to use a Pearson's Square I rectified my own 151.
It's wonderful!  Easier to drink than Sunset, more macho then 3 Star, wonderful! Into a drink it went... and then it disappeared.

The Rum Barrel was juicy and tart but not boozy.  More interesting than the Rum Lift and Never Say Die but I'd rather have a Bahama Mama. 
<>shrug</>
It's got to be me and my reaction to the name.  I expect a rum forward experience like a Navy Grog or a Jet Pilot instead of the juicy refreshment this is. If a Cheif Lapu Lapu had rum in it's name I'd probably have similar preconceived expectations. Ah, well...   


Rum Barrel

...at least I got to use of my Salty Sea Dog mug!

Cheers!

  


Comments

Popular Posts