Never Say Die

 I have made this drink in the past.  It always seemed to me like 5 Alive with booze.  I had overlooked something, however. I read honey in the recipe and immediately reached for honey mix. In fact this is what you will find called for in most versions of this recipe... even in the Tiki+ app and other reliable sources.  I think this is one of those drinks for which honey mix is great if you're bartending in a busy place but otherwise if you're onesing and twosing at home forget the mix and use honey! The directions say to, "Heat honey until liquid.." but in the current heat wave I think room temp honey is just fine.

Speaking of honey mix, did you know you can make it without heat?  Just whisk or stir your honey and water and you will ende up with honey mix. Amazing, I know! I did just this with orange juice standing in for water. ;)

Never Say Die

Never Say Die
1 dash Ango
0.50 oz lime juice
0.50 oz orange juice
0.50 oz grapefruit juice
0.25 oz (unsweetened) pineapple juice
0.50 oz honey
1 oz Barbados rum
0.50 oz light Puerto Rican rum
0.50 oz dark Jamaican rum

Heat honey until liquid, then blend with all other ingredients with 4 oz crushed ice for 5 seconds. Pour into a small wine goblet,  Pearl Diver, Dunbar Aramis tumbler.
by Don the Beachcomber. pg 54 Grog Log

Honey, not honey mix.  Ahhh, proper.... still not really my bag though.

Comments

Popular Posts