Gone The Beachcomber

 I've made the Demerara Dry Float quite often, the version found in the Smuggler's Cove book that is, and it's always enjoyable.  On page 38 of Beachbum Berry's Grog Log is "[his] version of the Demerara Dry Float": the Gone The Beachcomber.  So I mixed one up... completely disregarding that it's meant to be served up!

So I gave it another go and found it to be a very smooth way to deliver 151 into one's mouth. Haha! After the first few sips it settles into... nougat? marshmallow? I don't know but there is something that happens when one combines passionfruit with maraschino that is reminiscent of some sort of confection. Delicious! A complex "tiki" sour that packs a punch. I anticipate I'll be adding this to the house repertoire.

Gone The Beachcomber
1 lime juice
¼ lemon juice
½ passion fruit syrup
¼ Maraschino liqueur
¼ sugar syrup
1 Demerara rum
¼ 151 Demerara rum (for float)
Shake everything except 151 with ice; strain in to a 4 oz cocktail glass; float 151
pg 38 Beachbum Berry's Grog Log




Gone The Beachcomber

I've had the Grog Log book for quite a while but I don't refer to it often.  There are several drinks in it that I've had and several I make regularly.  Most of those recipes I get from the TotalTiki+ or other sources.  I dusted off my copy of Grog Log recently and thought about blogging all the drinks in it.  I remember Kaiser Penguin attempting such a thing with Remixed and then petering out.  I had a vague recollection of another blogger going through the Grog Log and then I remembered it was Mountain Of Crushed Ice. Unfortunately Tiare never completed Blogging The Grog Log, at least as far as I can tell. 

In my efforts to find the Grog Blog, so to speak, I discovered that others before me have done it... sort of. There is a great resource at Modern Tiki Lounge that's equally useful if you're regularly going to the Tonga Hut or if you're just mixing at home. There is also The Grog Blog that inexplicably posits that Gone The Beachcomber isn't in any of Jeff Berry's books.  Odd.  Ah well, you and I know different better.

Cheers!



__-)0)

Comments

Popular Posts