151 Swizzle

 Similar to the Kapu-Kai but stronger and from the 1940s is the:


151 Swizzle
dash Angostura bitters
⅛ tsp Pernod*
½ oz lime juice
½ oz simple syrup
1½ oz 151 Demerara rum
Blend with crushed ice. Pour into a steel swizzle cup half filled with crushed ice. Top with more crushed ice. Top with ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon. Garnish with mint or a cinnamon stick or a lime wheel or... I don't know I was really drunk at the time.


151 Swizzle

A nutmeg assault coupled with spicy alcohol heat.  Eventually melting away to a dilute finish (as a proper punch ought to) with hints of caramel and spice along the way. Changing up to a different rum I found less complexity but more cohesion.  Perhaps "one note" when made with Gosling's 151 but still the astringency was tempered with caramel.  Not a refresher or a guzzler but rather a contemplative sipper.. that begs another round.

*I used Ricard because.. I'm like that.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts