A Curling Story

So, I said I'd tell you a story didn't I? Let's see.....

I had a bottle of Bacardi® that I was going to pour down the sink. The missus suggested making spiced rum. I was skeptical. But, even though the DJ cautions us that "Infusing doesn't make crappy rum taste better, so pick a good rum." I did it anyway. The first taste test was very citrus forward. I removed the Meyer lemon peel and added more spices. The second tasting still had a lot of citrus so I added more orange peel and figured I'd have a nice replacement for my (now empty) bottle of Triple Sec.

Meanwhile the city was slowly being overrun by curlers. The Brier was on! At least it was about to be on....

We (the missus and me) had been drinking quite a bit of tea from David's Tea. In particular the Coco Chai Rooibos. "You should make a syrup out of this." she said to me. So I did!

I combined the rum with the syrup and some lemon and had a tasty beverage. A few days later I was chatting in the mixo bar and was informed that the theme was citrus. I already had a drink, excellent!

Anyway, I wasn't going to be anywhere near a PC that particular Thursday so I asked Sean Mike about sending in a recipe by proxy. This is what I did. The truncation necessary for tweeting sort of made the curling jokes less funny. Oh well. (I'm not sure if Sean Mike or anyone else in the chat got the jokes anyway...)

So, why an Indian Broom? At first I was trying to work in the rooibos in a scientific way. I though about "shrub" being in the name but since there's no vinegar in the drink I figured that wouldn't do. Checking wikipedia I discovered that Rooibos is a broom. A broom you say? Hmmm...

Instead of trying to force some sort of India-S. Africa-Caribbean name I decided to go in another direction. Rooibos is a broom. You can't curl without a broom. The chai is from India. The rum is from the West Indies. Hmmm...

My original mixing directions included some puns. They'll make more sense if you read this. They won't be funny, they'll just make more sense.

The directions were:

Shake in the 7th. Pour in the house a tankard . Serve on the rocks. Garnish with a peel.

Get it? No? That's okay...

Cheers!

Comments

Was that Bacardi white? Interesting... As much as I've railed against Bacardi (and even denied advertising from them on my site), I'm not completely against Bacardi gold... it's got a dryness that I find intriguing, and have considered making it into a spiced rum.

I'm always surprised with how interchangeably people use Meyer lemons with lemons... I find the flavor completely different, and not even all that palatable. I guess that's just me.

Your missus sounds like a keeper, if she thought to make rooibos syrup. I'll be posting about making just-about-anything into syrups soon when I post about Old Fashioneds. But before that, I'm going to be hosting the next Mixology Monday for mid April! Be sure to look out for the announcement.
Dagreb said…
Yes Bacardi white. I think they call it "superior"...

Popular Posts