MxMo See Ai Ai! Spooky Sips

"Is it sweet?" She asked, half watching netflix and half playing on her phone.
"No... it's more sour," said the imbiber.
"You like sour"
"Yes. Yes I do."
 For a moment she appeared to ponder whether she herself was sour or sweet.

                                   *                                       *                                             *


This month's Mixology Monday theme is Spooky Sips. Chosen by our old pal JFL at Rated R Cocktails. I thought it was gonna be easy! It occured to me that a good place to dig up recipes might be Sloshed! (seemingly now defunct) or perhaps 12 Bottle Bar. So to the interwebz I went. The Vampire just wasn't what I wanted to present to you. The Jack Torrance though grotesque would require buying at least one bottle and perhaps some cookery. That just smacks of effort! So to VS&FC I went wherein I found Satan's Whiskers. I can't recall the last time I made a Satan's Whiskers but I do recall not enjoying it. Last time was curled, this time I went straight. No sir, don't like it. Odd really as it seems like something I would drink. I'm not sure what the problem is. Perhaps it's the Between The Sheets problem....

I decided to go Tiki. A couple of drinks came to mind. Well, maybe more than a couple. I made as near as I could to a Mai Kai Black Magic. What could go wrong? Tiki and the occult. Mysterious sweeteners and unobtainable rum. It should be a slam dunk! Turns out it's just not my bag. Don't get me wrong, it is a good drink. It has many layers and evolves over time, but I'm not dying to have another one.

Back to the drawing board I went. My girlfriend had shared some buzzfeed nonsense recipes. I was doubtful. One did look tasty, essentially a New York Sour with tequila. Not particularly spooky though... The other ghoulish delight called for Absinthe and coconut. This seems to be a common combo for Hallowe'en. I came across a similar recipe seemingly promoted by Lucid. It tasted like an All Sort. A coconut roll to be precise. It did look spooky though...

I was getting concerned that I'd have nothing to offer. In other circumstances I'd say to Hell with it and try again next month. I was loathe to disapoint JFL and not have a submission. To my library and the internet I returned. All things dead, devilish, diabolical, and Hallowe'en related I read about. Mostly I stuck to CVS and Savoy Stomp. I still wasn't convinced I'd found the right thing. A Zombie and all it's iterations seemed too obvious. Making up a drink seemed too exhausting.  I even considered going out and buying a watermelon...

So, there I was without a drink to drink let alone blog about. I decided to return to the Atomic Grog list. There had been that second drink name that popped in my head when I called up the Black Magic recipe. Perhaps it's my Catholic upbringing or perhaps it's my teenage exposure to Skinny Puppy but the name sticks in my mind. I had recently made falernum and also made passion fruit syrup. (For a punch or two) how could I pass this drink by?


Last Rites
1 oz lime juice
0.5 oz passion fruit syrup
0.5 oz falernum
1 oz light rum (Porto Morrettes Cachaça Prata)
1.5 oz gold rum (Appleton V/X)
8 oz crushed ice

Blend on high for 5-7 seconds. Pour into a chimney glass or tiki mug. Add more crushed ice as needed.

adapted from Atomic Grog

In and of itself there's nothing really spooky about this. It is a sour. As is most Tiki. A sour with a little of this and a little of that. Give it a foreboding name and an ostentatious garnish and voila! (A story about a drink returning from the grave doesn't hurt either!)

Cheers!

Comments

Happy Halloween! I love to try this one..thanks for sharing ;)

Popular Posts