Manhattan - Federal Glass Shaker Recipe

The second drink when travelling left to right is the Manhattan. I think there is ample information online about this drink. In fact I think there is ample information about it everywhere. (i.e. bars, people you know, magazines, liquor bottles, even cocktail shakers! How 'bout that?)

Manhattan Shaker

Anyway the recipe is:

1oz sweet vermouth
2oz whisky
dashes of bitters
stir with ice
add cherry

That's it. No fuss, no muss. This is different but also the same as the Manhattan that I usually make. I used to use this recipe:

1.5oz whisky
.75oz sweet vermouth
dashes bitters
stir
cherry

And then I wanted to be perfect:

1.5oz whisky
.25oz dry vermouth
.25oz sweet vermouth
bitters, stir, cherry you know the drill

I'm unsure what sort of proportions one usually gets in bars...

I have mentioned my cocktail beginnings with the Manhattan in the
past. (Or rather I have mentioned in the past my cocktail beginnings etc.)I think it needs to make a comeback to my repertoire. To long sidelined by the Gibson and the Sidecar. Behold the triumphant return of the Manhattan!

Anyway, this is a big drink. I had to get out the big glass for it! (No, really. It didn't fit in
this glass.) Don't worry though, I figured out my capacity problem before hand. There wasn't Manhattan all over the counter or anything. So, it's a big drink, it's tasty and the bottles I used are probably the most likely to have been used when the shaker was new: C.C.; Martini & Rossi; Angostura. Maybe not though... For all I know it could have been Stock and Schenley!

I do enjoy these proportions, and really it's the same as I used to make. It's just a bigger drink! So is the bitters proportion off balance as a result? Who can say. I dash my bitters rather than measure them. (If I need a dash of a liquor I measure though... I've got a little spoon labelled "dash". I'm sure you've seen these things.) Is there anything to be gained by exact measuring of the bitters? Only more Manhattans will tell!

Cheers!
Manhattan

Comments

Anonymous said…
You own the talent of brilliant writing I must confess. Your posts incorporates the reality which are not accessible from anywhere else. It’s my humble request to u please keep writing such remarkable articles.And yes i have digg your site dagreb.blogspot.com .
Dagreb said…
We should all strive to "incorporate the reality which are not accesible from anywhere else."

Those phrase generators get a little more coherent eveyday!

good grief.

Popular Posts